So many opportunities, so little time

First off, apologies for being a day late on this post! Seems like I'm a bit behind the times but I'm here now and that's what's important, right? ;-D Since our last post, a few opportunities have come across my desk that I've been wanting to share with you.

Native Voices 2011 Call for Scripts
Please click on the link above for info regarding our 2011 developmental opportunities and our current submission guidelines and process. Although we accept scripts year round, all work received by September 15, 2010 will be considered for our 2011 Playwrights Retreat and Festival of New Plays as well as our 2011 First Look Series. All work submitted after September 15th will be considered for our 2012 developmental opportunities. We accept completed full-length plays by Native American and First Nation playwrights. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our Call for Scripts, please feel free to email me directly.

The Loop
If you're a writer, I highly recommend that you join The Loop - a social network geared specifically towards "playwrights, librettists, composers and anyone else who is actively working on creating their life as a theatre artist." Think of it as a Facebook for writers. With The Loop, you'll be able to connect with an extraordinary amount of fellow writers and access countless submission opportunities. If you're a regular reader of this blog, you may remember me mentioning this very same network back in August - see, it's so great I'm giving it a second recommendation! Just visit the link above, click on "Social Network," create your profile, and start exploring! (and while you're at it, add me as your friend!)

Community
Writing can be a lonely game at times. Good thing playwright Adam Szymkowicz has taken it upon himself to interview 200+ playwrights and post the transcripts on his blog! I'd highly suggest bookmarking this remarkable resource and visiting it whenever you have a free moment. I find it incredibly helpful to hear from those who are in my shoes to see how they've overcome the difficulties they've had to face and what inspires them to push onward. Some of my favorite playwrights featured on Adam's blog are Luis Alfaro who directed Tombs of the Vanishing Indian during our 2009 First Look Series, Jacqueline Goldfinger who was one of our dramaturgs at our 2008 Playwrights Retreat, Lin-Manuel Miranda (aka my current crush) who I just saw in The Pantages production of In the Heights, and Caridad Svich who is just about one of the sweetest artists I have ever met.

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
OSF is one of the oldest professional non-profit theatres in the nation. Although the theatre is intrinsically linked to Shakespeare's cannon, the company is also dedicated to "the cultural richness of the United States" and boasts "the inclusion of a diversity of people, ideas and cultures." To that end, Oregon Shakes offers a variety of fellowships, apprenticeships, internships, and residencies that artists of color are strongly encouraged to apply for. Deemed the FAIR Experience, these programs are designed "to foster a collaborative exchange of knowledge, skills and perspectives between experiences professionals and the next generation of theatre practitioners." Take a look at what they have to offer and give it a try - you never know what's waiting for you around the bend.

Next week, I'll have some info about Frybread Queen and hopefully I'll be able to keep my days straight!

Till then!