Camaray Davalos - Playwright

Camaray Davalos

What is your heritage? 

I am Indigenous (Payómkawichum), Mexican, Cuban, Jewish, and Irish. 

Where will you be watching the play from? 

Good question! Most likely at home with my partner, our cats, and some hot apple cider.

Is this your first time at Native Voices? 

I was part of the short play fest last year, and am super happy to be back this year.

What compels you to write? 

My innate need for creative expression and connection. When I am writing I am essentially trying to say “This is me, this is how I feel..Do you feel this way too sometimes?” I also feel responsible to write about issues or things that people might not know about, to use storytelling as a means of spreading awareness.

Do your characters have lives outside of the slice you are showing here? 

This is an interesting question. I suppose they do, since part of this play is based on actual events/dialogue! 

How does listening to a stage reading of your play help? 

I’ve found that the way I write and imagine a scene is sometimes so different from how it’s actually performed...but I enjoy that. I think listening to a staged reading of my play helps me become open to interpretations, and even critiques. Also the way the audience reacts is humbling, and helps me understand what affects people, what makes them laugh, etc.

Where can people find you on social media? 

I am on instagram as @Piwiishology :)