Jennifer Bobiwash - Playwright

Jennifer Bobiwash

What is your heritage (whatever that means to you)?

I am an enrolled member of the Mississauga First Nation and grew up on Robinson Huron Treaty Territory.

Where will you be watching the play from?

The parking lot of the Autry or the south lawn. I think wifi reaches that far.

Is this your first time at Native Voices?

This is my first time in the Short Play Festival but I have had my play at the Festival of New Plays.

What compels you to write?

 You might as well ask why I breathe....  Jk jk.  Writing is a way to reclaim my culture and heritage. Something that has been stolen and re-written by others.   I am compelled to reclaim stories that people refuse to hear or to pay attention to.  Questions and comments that happen in everyday life are opportunities to tell a fuller story.

Do your characters have lives outside of the slice you are showing here?

My characters have quite a fascinating life outside of this 10 minutes.  Imagining the conversations that brought us to this moment and what happens after they leave keeps me up at night.  How do you present these conversations?  What ways can you tell their stories?

How does listening to a stage reading of your play help? 

Listening to my play being read is helpful because I can sometimes think I am the most hilarious person out there and laugh as I read it, but when it’s read by others, you see if they get and if they can relate to your story. Hearing it allows me to make tweaks and stronger choices depending on how it is read to make sure what I am trying to say is being understood. 

Where can people find you on Social Media?

Facebook www.Facebook.com/JenniferBobiwash

Twitter & Instagram @Bobiwash